When the summer heat kicks in and everyone starts to get restless inside, you’ll only have to go as far as the backyard to keep cool, beat the boredom and burn off energy all at the same time! Round up the pets, little kids and big kids on your street or apartment for some (mostly free) wet and wild (slightly messy) fun!
For some soggy ways to beat the heat, all you need is a garden hose, a few dog toys and treats and some old towels. Be sure to have clean, cool water available for drinking. Add a sprinkler, water guns and a small plastic kiddie pool for more excitement without much additional cost. Now you’re equipped for any number of games and activities, limited only by your imagination. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Play in the hose. Squirting water from the hose, running under water-rainbows, and playing water tag has endless appeal for pups and kids of all ages. As a bonus, your lawn will get some extra irrigation too.
- Run through the sprinklers. Turn on your automatic sprinklers or set up the manual kind for a refreshing spray to run and play in.
- Give your dog a bath. Take advantage of the water works by adding some shampoo and a little scrubbing for a sweeter-smelling pup at the end. If you have a portable wash tub, this may help keep your dog focused on the process, but a short leash and favorite treats will also work.
- Play fetch. Use a water-soaked ball, squishy toy, or the stream from a water gun for your dog to chase or catch mid-air.
- Go wading. If you have a plastic kiddie pool or the kind made especially for dogs, fill it with a few inches of water for your dog to wade or soak in. Just check the temperature first to make sure the water isn’t too hot if it has been sitting in the sun.
If your dog loves playing in the water at home, he will surely enjoy a summertime visit to our dog swimming pool here at The Divine Canine. Your dog won’t just get to cool off in our temperate water, but get to truly swim. From May through November, our water loving dogs take an afternoon swim and play fetch in our custom 15′ X 30′ pool.
As we move through the dog days of summer, sometimes it’s the simple things that make the best memories. So gather up some sunshine and one or more energetic playmates. Then you’ll be ready to … just add water!